Monday, November 25, 2013

Working it Out

A new project is always a little scary in spots.  Haven't you ever gotten a great idea, acted on it, and then wondered what the heck you were thinking?  Even before anything bad happened?

So it is some days with freelancing.  Several things have helped me power through the mental brownouts.  I have done some reading, which always gets the juices going.  Not only have I read about freelancing, contracts, getting assignments, and managing the books, but I have taken the time to be in touch with my personal center as well.  I don't know why I need to be reminded that I am more than my thoughts, but I always feel better when I step back and look at the big big picture.

So I'm still looking for opportunities that don't require 2 years experience and job titles I don't have.  It's all good.  I'll be meeting people soon.  I have my business cards ready, I'm learning the program I'll use for invoices, and the sun is still coming up in the morning on my warm bed.

What was one way you powered through the scary days?

1 comment:

  1. There have been many turns and twists. Reading also helped a lot. At a particularly low point I remember (asked to leave the CPA firm because I hadn't yet passed the CPA exam, Oldest son was about 18 mos., my wife was expecting ((twins)). Took a job w/ a construction company that was going bankrupt; then on unemployment for about 6 months). I fell upon an opportunity to take a Dale Carnegie course. It was way too expensive, but I insisted that I felt I couldn't afford not to take that course at that time. I needed something to jolt my thinking from the most recent path, and look down the road. Probably the single best thing I ever did in my professional career without a doubt.
    Another time, at the hospital, the three of us accountants there had been putting in ungodly hours, then the merger with another hospital across town added more work/deadlines. Three months into the merger, our boss, the Controller dropped dead - we picked up his duties with support of our CFO. A month later, the CFO's 13 year old daughter committed suicide. Now we picked up about half of the duties of the CFO as well!!! From June thru November that year there wasn't a day I wasn't at the hospital from early morning to late at night - going home usually around midnight, and back by 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning. For an occasional break I'd drive out by the cemetery and sit down by my bosses grave and cuss him out, and ask for some direction (yes, it seemed weird, but it really helped me get through those days without exploding). Eventually, in late November that year, the CFO called in the three of us accountants and explained how he couldn't offer the controller position to any of us and that the controller from the merged hospital would be our new boss - lovely that.
    The process that has withstood the test of time is walking. Any time when things got tight, a good long walk helped bring clarity. That is still relied upon, and has been good for my health as well. This is the one that always brings positive results. (I'd be remiss if I didn't include a good ride on the motorcycle - sometimes it takes a second tank of gas before it clears the mind!) Thanks for the outlet. Power on. . .

    ReplyDelete

One of the many reasons I chose to represent myself in this blog was to have the opportunity to connect with folks who view it. Please allow me the pleasure of reading even the shortest of comments. Ask, tell, or fabricate - but be human...